Ray Collins Media takes an in-depth view at Habitat for Humanity Sarasota's mission.
Habitat for Humanity Sarasota provides safe, affordable homes to low-income working families. Dedicated volunteers provides on average 2,500 labor-hours per home, resulting in a 30% reduction in construction cost. The organization builds new homes (and renovates purchased properties) with an emphasis on energy efficient features using building materials and techniques for sustainability, culminating in lower monthly expenses for homeowners.
Habitat Sarasota incorporates the following principles to ensure successful homeownership. A typical Habitat partner family completes this process within one year.
- families whose income measures 30%-80% of the average median income may qualify for our homeownership program
- demonstrate the need for improved and affordable housing
- be willing to partner with Habitat for a minimum of 300 sweat equity hours
- be able to pay a 30-year, interest-free mortgage
- participate in a series of homebuyer classes
- provide a down payment of $1,700 prior to closing on their home
Because of our proven model, this affiliate services more than 165 mortgages and regularly provides counseling to ensure homeowners are successful in staying current on their mortgage payments.
Our ReStore operation is consistently ranked in the Top 5 in state of Florida. The ReStore sells donated furniture and home improvement materials to support our mission. Our ReStore locations produce enough revenue to cover all the agency’s G&A. Therefore, approximately four years ago, our board of directors incorporated a policy to restrict 100% of all monetary gifts from donors to be allocated to our building fund, unless specified by the donor.
Board of Directors
Chair: John Peshkin
Vice Chair: David Langhout
Finance Chair: Sherry Edwards
Secretary: Jeffrey Grebe
Ex-Officio: Renee Snyder, Executive Director
Ex-Officio: Mary Ann Gates
Board Member Emeritus: