No matter who we are or where we come from, we all deserve to have a decent life. We deserve to feel strength and stability day after day. We deserve to know we have the power to take care of ourselves and build our own futures.
Do You Qualify?
a. IS THERE A NEED FOR IMPROVED HOUSING?
- Our program is income based. Please refer to the 2018 HUD income limits.
- Overcrowded conditions
- Unsafe, unsanitary conditions
- Substandard housing – with a leaky roof, poor heating or lacking proper plumbing
- Paying a very high percentage of your income for rent (more than 30 percent)
b. DO YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO PAY AN AFFORDABLE MORTGAGE?
- Have two years of steady, verifiable income.
- Have reasonably good credit. (We don’t require perfect credit. We consider families who demonstrate the ability to make regular payments on their bills.)
c. AGREE TO PARTNER WITH HABITAT FOR HUMANITY SARASOTA
- Live or work in Sarasota County for at least 12 months.
- Agree to contribute sweat equity toward your home and the home of other Habitat homeowners.
If you do not meet these requirements, exceptions are rare and would be made on a case-by-case basis. You also can find more affordable housing information by visiting www.floridahousingsearch.org.
How to Apply
- Download an Application for Homeownership. Applications are also available during business hours at the Habitat for Humanity Sarasota Administrative Office located at: 1757 N. East Ave., Sarasota, FL 34234.
- Attend a Homeowner Orientation session to answer the many questions you probably have. Attending an orientation is part of the application process. Orientations are held at local libraries in Sarasota. There is NO FEE to attend, but please do arrange for childcare during this time.
- Submit your application. (Once submitted, the review process may take two to three months.)
- Your form will be reviewed and someone from our staff will contact you to discuss your application and collect the application fee.
- A home visit and interview are part of the qualification process.
Once eligibility has been confirmed, you sign a partnership agreement and begin to work on your sweat equity. You work on building other families’ homes or in our ReStore, before starting your own home.
You also agree to complete a series of homeownership classes and submit a $3,000 deposit. Your deposit is applied towards closing costs, taxes, and insurance.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of the U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.